Here is an overview of what we'll cover in this article:
- Your detailed invoice requirements for Lifestyle/Wellness Spending Account (LSA) expenses
- What if the detailed invoice does not have all this information?
- Are handwritten invoices acceptable?
- Requirements for expenses ordered online
- Amazon orders
- How to claim an expense in any currency other than CAD
Your detailed invoice requirements for Lifestyle/Wellness Spending Account (LSA) expenses:
1) Who the expense is for
2) Where it is being purchased
3) What the expense is
4) The total cost
5) The date
6) A confirmation of payment
Note: Lifestyle/Wellness expenses are processed by payment date, and are often accompanied by credit card or bank statements to confirm this information.
We recommend blocking out all other personal details on documents like these.
What if the detailed invoice does not have all this information?
You can write clarifying details on the invoice before submitting it to us. For example, if a name is missing, it can be written on the invoice. Or if an expense isn't clearly identified (only a code is given), you can clarify what the item is. Example: Write on the receipt, "This is a bike".
Are handwritten invoices acceptable?
Yes, provided all the required information is available. Any private sale/handwritten invoices must include:
- A copy/image of the original ad (Facebook Marketplace/Kijiji) or a photo of the items being purchased (private sale)
- The payment receipt must include: Who is purchasing the item, the details of the item being purchased, the total cost, confirmation of payment including the date of payment and the seller's contact information including their name, phone number/email address.
- If the purchase is paid for with cash the receipt would need to say cash and if paid with e-transfer you would need to screenshot that transfer from your account and add it to the claim submission.
Requirements for expenses ordered online
Ensure you submit all pages of the order. The invoice must show who the expense is for, what is being purchased, the purchase date, the total cost, and confirmation of payment in full including the actual date of the payment (not just the order or shipping date).
For Amazon orders:
You must always submit your detailed invoice with payment confirmation including the payment date.
Go to your Amazon account, click on "Returns & Orders," find the relevant order and click on "Invoice." Then click on "Printable Order Summary." This document will show all the information we need, including the order date, items ordered, total cost, shipping/taxes, a confirmation of payment and the payment date.
How to claim an expense in any currency other than CAD
To submit an expense in a currency other than CAD, you must include the following:
The original documents that meet our invoice requirements.
A translation of the invoice to English, if applicable.
Confirmation of payment and exchange rate to CAD. If payment was with a Canadian credit or debit card, the statement line showing the amount paid in CAD and the date of payment must be included. If payment was cash or a non-Canadian card, please include a note with your claim that explains how you paid, that there are no other documents available, and request that we do the conversion on your behalf.